Overnight oats are such a great invention, and there are countless ways to prepare it to give it different flavors and consistencies. In this article, I will share my staple overnight oats recipe, which consists of only 5 ingredients. The great thing about this recipe is that you can change it up in endless different ways to modify the taste and the calories of the recipe.
- 80 grams / 1 cup of oats
- 100g of Skyr (Greek yogurt works as well)
- 50g of apple sauce
- 50-75g skim milk (almond milk or any other milk works)
- 1 scoop of protein powder (i used MyProtein salted caramel in this one)
You just want to mix up all the ingredients in a bowl/Tupperware and stick it in the fridge for I’d say at least 3 hours for the oatmeal to soak up all the goodness!!
As you can see in the featured picture, I topped it today with banana, almonds and Walden Farms maple syrup, but you can top it with whatever your heart desires! Here are some of my favorite toppings:
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Fresh or dried fruit
- Coconut flakes
- The great thing about using protein powder in recipes is that you can change the flavor of the meal completely by just using another flavor of protein powder. Because I used a caramel flavored protein, you could say that this overnight oats recipe has a caramel theme, but you can use any flavor you want, to change the theme of your oats.
- If you feel like the macros ain’t right in this recipe there are a ton of things you can adjust: fewer oats/more oat, less protein/more protein, and you can also add extra fat to this recipe by adding this like peanut butter, nuts, Nutella, chocolate chips, chia seeds, coconut and the list goes on!! For extra carbs, you can also add some fresh or dried fruit on top!
- The skyr in this recipe can be substituted by Greek yogurt, but be aware that the macros won’t be the same
- The applesauce can be substituted with mashed banana, or pure pumpkin (or left out)
This video from from my Instagram account shows the process of me making it!
Nutrition facts for the whole recipe (without any toppings)
Make sure to let me know if you try this out, by leaving a comment or tagging me on instagram!
For more insight in my life, an my approach to fitness/nutrition check me out on Instagram @ifandiifym